Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mothers Day and Memories

Bonnie and I decided at the last minute (what else is new for us) to take a quick trip back to Chicago on Mother's day to surprise her mother (Doris). The week before, Bonnie dropped a big hint (she left a catalog on my mail pile) about what she wanted, so on our next trip to the mail, the jewelry counter it was. Looks nice- huh?


We decided to take advantage of flying standby (Thanks to Daryl), so we jumped a quick flight on Friday morning, no muss, no fuss, and we were in Chicago, they even gave us the exit row, lots of legroom.We were picked up at the airport and then had dinner with Bonnie's sister Leslie and her husband, Harry..  Lake Superior Whitefish- Yummy. One of my favorites from growing up- and so the memories began. We then surprised Doris, she nearly fainted  and began a fun family and food (yes, my constant theme returns) Mother's day weekend.

We connected with Bonnie's oldest friend, Natalie, and brought the 2 mothers together for a fun lunch at Rise n Dine. Lots of talk about our kids and the food was great.  On the way home, I even found a place called Gator's, just like my school mascot. :)

 
Saturday night was a quiet night at Doris's place, some Italian Beef Sandwiches and more time with Leslie and Harry.



Sunday was the big day, Mother's day brunch at Becky's, Bonnie made her famous Zucchini Fritatta, Harry chipped in French Toast and Lox and Bagels all around. (not the best picture, but it will have to do)


I spent the afternoon fixing Becky's computer (what else is new), then we all walked over to Leslie's house for a birthday bash for Becky. (and I worked on Leslie's computer while I was there- what else is new)



  
We were supposed to head home on Monday evening, so we took a drive to my old neighborhood just to reminisce a bit. (I also had to pick up some more memory for Leslie's computer and there was a discount memory outlet in the neighborhood that I grew up in.) We drove by the house I lived in for most of my childhood, knocked on my old neighbor's door (Larry) and chatted for a while and then toured the old area. My elementary school had been turned into a police station and the new elementary school my brother went to that was only a few blocks away was now a parochial school for Muslims. Diversity has arrived in Morton Grove for sure.

Standby being what it is, the flights Monday night were all full, but no worry, plenty of room Tuesday morning, or so we thought. That night United canceled the flight- OOPS. All of a sudden, all the flights home were full. Luckily I found a US Airways flight connecting in Phoenix for only $150 one way per person. We arrived home in time for me to head to the Teacher of the Year Awards. All in all a weekend of fond memories and great family.



 

Coming Next,- A sweet trip to Saint George and LA to celebrate my favorite new Octogenarian.
   

 

1 comment:

  1. Why am I always hungry reading your posts? Looks like another great weekend with your family - and good going with Bonnie's necklace!

    I'll stay tuned for sure, but maybe you can work on the teaser just a bit...

    P.S. I wish our Gator sign had a nice, frothy beer on it!

    ReplyDelete